Program that funded Cyclovia, racks, bike fest and more on chopping block; feedback needed today
I received an email from Tom Thivener, the city’s bike and pedestrian program manager this afternoon.
Apparently, today is the last day the public can comment on the Transportation Improvement Plan that Pima Association of Governments produces.
Thivener said in his email that PAG is considering eliminating a section of funding that promotes alternate transportation.
“This program has funded many things that help to encourage bike use such as:
- Bike Fest (including event costs for Cyclovia)
- Bike Racks, including on-street bike parking corrals
- Bike Safety Classes (in partnership with Pima County)
- Bike Helmets for youth
- Airing of Public Service Announcements (on sharing the road, riding with traffic, how Hawk signals work, encouraging Biking 2 Work)
- Bike Valet at large public events
- Bike Rodeos for youth
- Bike Boxes
- Planning for future bicycle boulevards,” Thivener wrote in his email.
If you want to program to continue, Thivener said you should fill out the comment form and return it today. Be sure to mention the “Tucson – Alternate Modes Program.”
The comment form is HERE.
They should be faxed to 620-6981 or emailed to email@example.com.
You can try this PDF form filler so that you don’t have to print and scan the file.