Check out this funky event at Fantasy Island on Saturday hosted by TriSports Triathlon Club.
Here’s what the event organizers say about the race, which takes place on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Join us for the 5th Saturday Ride ‘n Tie at Fantasy Island brought to you by the TriSports Triathlon Club, Grasky Endurance Coaching and TriSports.com.
What’s a ride & tie? Two teammates start together, one running and one riding. After a short distance, the rider drops the bike and starts running, the other team-member runs up to the bike, picks it up and rides past his/her teammate and the flip-flop continues. They trade-off like this to cover the entire distance of the course. This will be as fun and insane as it sounds, so trick someone into being your teammate, and don’t miss out!
Location: Fantasy Island, south entrance. On Valencia, just east of Nexus.
Course: Fantasy Island Bunny Loop. 5mi loop, 2 laps. Very mild off-road course, suitable for beginners and pros.
Entry fee: $5 donation to Wounded Warrior Project and a can of food for the Tucson Community Food Bank. This event is open to the general public.
– Two person teams
– One bike per team. Each rider must wear a helmet when on the bike. (Usually, racers wear a helmet the entire race, though this is not required.)
– Mass start. Bikes first, runners 30 seconds in trail.
– Time stops when second team member crosses finish line.
– Not-so-Aid Station: Various snacks and refreshments. You’ll find out on race day, 15 minutes prior to start. Each team member will partake. Each team will have a minimum requirement. Past aid has been Red Hots, powdered donuts, gummy worms….
– Stuffed animals and toys will be hidden along the trail. These will be worth hidden time bonuses. Only two toys per team at finish line. If more than two toys cross the line, time will be added.
– Aid Station cups beyond the min will be worth time bonuses. Not reaching the min per team will result in time added.
– There will also be a special station with opportunity for time bonuses. This will be revealed on race day.