The City of Tucson has created a job posting for the city’s vacant bicycle and pedestrian program coordinator position.
The position became available when Tom Thivener, the city’s previous bicycle planner, accepted a position leading the newly formed bicycle department in Calgary.
Ian Johnson, the chair of the Tucson-Pima County Bicycle Advisory Committee, said he was pleased that the city chose to keep the job a senior-level planner position with a high salary.
The city could have made it a lower-salary entry level position, but that would have limited the appeal nationally.
Interim transportation director Tony Paez said previously that they were taking the task of filling the position very seriously and would conduct a national search to replace Thivener.
Indeed, Johnson said the job was posted on the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals, a national group, which will help bring in a highly qualified planner.
The position is listed here. Applicants have until June 24 to apply.
According to the posting, the city is looking for someone with at least five years experience as a bicycle and pedestrian planner.
The posting lists these example job duties:
- Serves as staff liaison to the Tucson-Pima County Bicycle Advisory Committee that deals with the public on various issues associated with the bicycling and walking public
- Organizes and attends monthly meetings; answers questions and provides feedback and reports activities to department management
- Coordinates projects by conducting research, meeting with businesses and organizations, making recommendations for programs and coordinating special events to promote programs
- Identifies funding sources associated with various projects
- Serves as the department’s contact for federal funding grant applications and assists in the development of such applications
- Performs administrative duties by preparing, reviewing and submitting reports, preparing design change authorizations and maintaining and updating files and records
One thought on “City posts job opening for bike/ped coordinator”
I nominate Ann Chanecka for this position.